Flourish PHP Unframework
This is an archived copy of the forum for reference purposes

Leave it up to the programmer to select required fields in an fRecordSet::buildFromSQL() call

posted by vena 9 years ago

I get the reasoning behind asking that SQL statements passed to buildFromSQL look like a SELECT * FROM statement, but this is irritatingly limiting. Why not throw an exception after the statement is run if the required fields are not returned rather than enforcing a rigid SQL scheme?

For instance, what if I needed to use a control flow statement to decide between selecting a column or using a sub-query to get that value elsewhere if the column is null (a simple IF() in MySQL)? As far as I can see, that would mean I'd have to give up all the benefits of fRecordSet/fActiveRecord because it'd mean straying from SELECT * FROM (I tried it, Flourish throws an exception complaining about SELECT * FROM).

Once again, maybe I'm just not seeing the bigger picture :) Seems like a small increase in trust for a huge increase in potential, though.

Well, all of the fActiveRecord functionality is designed around the active record pattern, that is, an object that represents a row/record in a database table. In such situations there isn't a need for anything other than SELECT * FROM.

It sounds to me like you are using it very much like an active record, but you are pulling data from a different table. In your situation, I would probably recommend simply extending fRecordSet:

class CustomRecordSet extends fRecordSet
{
	static public function buildFromSQL($class, $sql, $non_limited_count_sql=NULL)
	{
		fActiveRecord::validateClass($class);
		fActiveRecord::forceConfigure($class);
		return new fRecordSet(
			$class,
			fORMDatabase::retrieve($class, 'read')->translatedQuery($sql),
			$non_limited_count_sql
		);
	}
}

Then you can call:

$rs = CustomRecordSet::buildFromSQL($sql);

I think leaving the check will help more people than remove the check will.

posted by wbond 9 years ago

Ah interesting, that should do the trick. Thanks once again!

yeah you know, this is just pure laziness on my part. this all came from my wanting to pass data to views with that convenient get/prepare/encode method prefix structure fActiveRecord provides. i really should get off my butt and just write a simple data container class that provides that, huh? save the overhead and the possibility someone else does something silly like manipulate the database from the view or something.

that way i can tune my SELECTs to my little heart's content. :)