Flourish PHP Unframework
This is an archived copy of the forum for reference purposes

MongoDB Support

posted by anonymous 9 years ago

NUFF SAID

I've never used MongoDB what kind of functionality would you be looking for on top of the PECL mongo extension?

I thought a little bit about the ORM, since that seems like a logical thing to support MongoDB. Unfortunately for MongoDB and other schema-less NoSQL databases, the Flourish ORM would be useless since it is completely driven by the database schema.

posted by wbond 9 years ago

I think providing a standard interface to interact with schema-less databases through flourish would be an awesome idea.

While the query based fORM, fActiveRecord, fRecordSet might not be the best fit for it we could create some alternatives to interact with schema-less data, like fActiveDocument and fDocumentSet. They could implement some of the core feature of the fActiveRecord classes whilst providing a more flexible way to define field types and related records.

This type of data storage is becoming more and more popular and would add great leverage for people when they are deciding thier development "framework"/ library.

posted by ben.haines 9 years ago

Like I said before, I don't have a ton of experience with NoSQL solutions, so in my current position I don't think I could add too much without the assistance of users who are currently using these systems.

The other issue I see here is that while almost all relational databases share a query language (SQL) and quite a bit of functionality, NoSQL database all vary quite widely in terms of the external API, what they can do, and how to accomplish common tasks. I have a feeling that building a NoSQL database abstraction layer would be quite a complex task. If you do know of any projects that are working to solve this problem, I'd be interested to hear about them.

posted by wbond 9 years ago